Saturday, May 07, 2005

The matter with Kansas (and why I'm not a Republican)

In case you haven't been following the doings over in the flat state, the Kansas State Board of Education is attempting yet again to abolish science.

This is yet another example of why I'm not a Republican. (As if I needed another reason.) If I really bought into all this (you're on your) "ownership society" crap I could think of this as a good thing. I could rationalize all this away by focussing on the fact that my eventually well educated kid will be at an advantage when he has to compete for jobs with these flat earthers. Which is true. But the fact is that his well-being will depend on living in a society where everybody has a basic understanding of science and so raising a generation of ignorant Kansans is not something to celebrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home